The Abbey

The Abbey

The Tenuta Santi Giacomo e Filippo takes its name from the 14th-century church (later, an Abbey) that stands in its grounds.  Dedicated to the saints James and Philip, the Abbey’s full title also pays tribute to the Forquini, which is the name of the family of a wealthy local feudal lord of the late-10th century. By the end of the 13th century, the church was big enough and important enough to be paying the taxes that helped the Pope of the day wage war on his enemies.

L'Abbazia SS. Giacomo e Filippo
Abbazia - Tenuta Santi Giacomo Filippo - Urbino

In the 1500s, the priest was a member of the Galli family, who were Urbino-based nobles, and who, in 1558, took over responsibility for the church. In 1566, Giovanni Angelo da Coldazzo commissioned a fresco of the Virgin Mary between the saints John the Baptist and Saint Anthony the Great, also known as Saint Anthony the Abbot. The church went from strength to strength and, in 1633, was upgraded to an abbey.

To this day, this small and intimate abbey church (in Italian, badia) is open every Sunday morning for Mass. Services are also held during the year. One important example is a ceremony that takes place every ten years. This occurs, and has done for many centuries, when it is the Abbey’s turn to host a painting of the Virgin Mary for that year, before it moves on to one of the other nine churches in the area that are part of the“Giro”, or circuit. Just one more example of the close links that exist between the Tenuta Santi Giacomo e Filippo and the local Urbino area.

L'Abbazia SS. Giacomo e Filippo

These days, this picturesque little church also has a new role: that of providing a delightful setting for destination weddings. See the section Your Wedding and Our Gallery for more information on the Abbey of the Saints James and Philip, and why it makes a perfect partner for your important day.

Abbazia Tenuta Santi Giacomo e Filippo


9.30 am, Sunday